Butler County was created by the first session of the Alabama legislature on 1819 Dec. 13, from parts of Monroe and Conecuh Counties. It was named for Capt. William Butler, a soldier of the Creek War of 1813-14. Butler County lies in the south-central part of the state, and borders Lowndes, Crenshaw, Covington, Conecuh, Monroe, and Wilcox counties. The county seat is located at Greenville, which was originally named Buttsville. Other towns and communities include Chapman, McKenzie, and Georgiana.